Thursday, July 12, 2007

Despair

Last May a desperate mother of a disabled girl drove her car off a cliff killing herself and her 25 year old daughter.

The despair of having to take care of her child eventually overwhelmed her.

After 25 five years of devotion to someone she knew could never have hope for a better future, that mother decided to put an end to both her child’s suffering and her own.

This week another desperate mother killed a son and tried to commit suicide too although she survived. A six years old epileptic boy died after his mother’s boyfriend dumped her.

Reading the news about it, especially the comments from the neighbors who say the little boy was a lovely kid, most people claim for the murderous mother’s head.

Me? Not sure.

I really don’t know.

I can’t even start to imagine how desperate a mother must be to kill her own progeny, so how can I tell if another mother is faking such despair?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I firmly believe in post-partum depression, and I've seen what a ravaging horror mental illness can be. As for whether or not they should be held accountable for their actions - I'm not sure. A strong wind blows in both directions.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Not just post-partum...depression on the whole. I can't imagine how dark and sad those women must be feeling, with no-one to help them.

DCveR said...

chill daddy: I don't know if you can call it post-partum depression when the actions are 25 or even just 6 years after birth.

GG: I don't think anyone can imagine.

WrathofDawn said...

I have never been unwell enough to contemplate hurting my own children. Thoughts of how it would devastate them have also kept me from harming myself, even at my darkest moments.

I can only guess at how desperate those women felt.