Friday, May 25, 2007

Delusions of grandeur

Our glorious government has been telling us all that cutting down on public expenses is absolutely necessary.
To cut on said expenses hospitals, schools, maternities and other public services have been closed throughout the country.
Yesterday however we’ve learned through the media (Portuguese only, sorry) that the city of Al-Khader, in Palestine, has a new football stadium (soccer for you American folks), FIFA approved, seating 6000 people, offered by the Portuguese Government.
A gift in the value of over 2 million dollars.
Although poor we are however a very generous people.
You would expect that such an action from a government would cause a revolution, you would probably expect riots… Well… No.
As I said we’re generous.
So as soon as the news was heard the Portuguese people supported it in the form of an e-mail that spread around. This e-mail suggests we should even make a few more offerings, namely a gym for Afghanistan, an Olympic Stadium to Somalia and all our politicians to the crocodiles of the Nile!
I’m am not a rich guy. At the present I’m actually short of cash. But one thing is for sure, I would gladly chip in for the last item. My only doubt is: wouldn’t those poor crocs be poisoned were they to eat such crap food as our politicians?

6 comments:

thephoenixnyc said...

Clearly, this means you have to book a trip to see a game in teh new stadium, hell you paid for it.

Just watch the rocks and bullets on the way out.

DCveR said...

I'll pass on that. Not exactly my dream destination. Strange as it may seem I prefer places with slightly better odds of coming back home alive.

Hayden said...

I don't understand it. I truely don't understand it. Politicians are the same all over the world. What are they thinking with?

DCveR said...

hayden: Beats me. I never figured out their thoughts any farther then personal profit and interest. Politicians have agendas that sadly have nothing to do with public interest.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

That is the strrraaaaaaangest way to spend public funds. Man, that is weird!

Money should be spent looking after one's own first. If you can afford it, then you help others.

Y'know, when people grumble about weird politics here, I will point them to Portugal.

DCveR said...

GG: I could even understand helping others. We've got a medical association with projects all over the world and I usually help them. But building a football stadium?!