Thursday, May 31, 2007

A little garden by the sea

That's what our people call this plot of land that is our country: um pequeno jardim à beira mar plantado.
A peaceful little place, where people are mostly gentle.
It seems we are the ninth most peaceful country in the world...

(if you want check how peaceful your country is)


This would sound a lot better if it weren't for the fact that violent crime is rising here too. If it weren't for the fact that although I'm not that old I still remember when people felt a lot safer than they do today.
Still this is a rather nice place to live in.
True we don't have color coded alerts to tell people how scared they must feel, but then again people usually don't feel frightened around these parts.

The feeling however gets a lot worst when I stop looking at my own belly button and start looking around, looking at the war thorned countries, at the countries where law and order are but a dream, where the only law is the word of those who hold the guns.

And even in countries that may seem mostly peaceful from the table, when I think of Ghana ranking 40th, my mind wonders to the slave children there...
Call me naïve if you want to, but I really believe it would be possible to build a better world where this ranking would make no sense, where all people could feel safe and where all children could play and go to school.

9 comments:

Alla said...

i increased my peace index by moving to europe

DCveR said...

Ale: And you could increase it even further by moving to Portugal! Still you got Amsterdam's coffee shops as an added bonus!! ;)

Hughes Views said...

Sometimes we all forget how lucky we are to live in this era in Western Europe I think. Sixty years of rising living standards and peace makes us so much luckier than so many other people on the planet. And now the east Europeans are joining us. Such a shame that too many people are scared by the stories they read in their sensationalising newspapers...

PS nice to see you're back!

Christine said...

I was surprised at a few countries ranks. I feel very blessed to live in Canada.

Good to see you, DC :)

Cream said...

I think you're right about about a world where this ranking would make no sense.
A world where children could grow up without hearing an angry word or the sound of bullet, that would be an achievement as far as I am concerned.

Hayden said...

I keep remembering the horrific and completely acceptable realities of human history, and I have to hope that our distress is evidence that things are changing, improving. At least most of the world no longer finds it acceptable. We may mostly wring our hands in dismay, but that is a stage (lets hope it is short) that stands between shrugging it off, and action.

Meanwhile, I'm packed and on my way to Portugal! (I wish!)

Dan Flynn said...

D,

I note the UK is in 49th position. Suppose that has something to do with the warmonger Blair. Oh yeah, and the politics of fear that he promotes, oh yeah and the widening gap between rich and poor that he celebrates, oh yeah the the record numbers of children living in poverty. Grrrr... However, speaking as a UK citizen, it is fortunate that the place is also full the brim of the most wonderful people. So let's hear it for the majority. Huzzah!!!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

A world where 'where all people could feel safe and where all children could play and go to school' is a wonderful dream, D. I don't think it's achievable though. Too many sick people out there, and the numbers seem to be rising.

But that doesn't mean we must not try. Otherwise we might as well lie down and die. Everyday we must strive for peace of mind...and teach others how to. I think that's the key.

DCveR said...

hughes: Thanks! Yup, we're rather lucky. It's just sad that people seem to need luck to have a decent chance of survival to begin with.

christine: I bet you do! Yet Canada was an upsetting experience to me... the streets of Vancouver were something I didn't quite expect.

cream: You of all people are one to consider it an achievement. I believe that post about your childhood was a very powerful message, if only more people would get that message!

hayden: I'm afraid most of the world is struggling to survive, while a few of us in the so called western world live quite well. When we really look into it those of us who actually care are a minority within a minority.

dan: Sure it is. In fact, I truly believe that in most countries there plenty of great people! Sadly they are ruled by not so great and noble beings.

GG: One thing I've learned about goals - if you aim high enough even if you just go half the way to the top you'll still go farther than most. ;) Maybe not achievable, but if we can make a little change...